Freeze!

Its been weeks since (proper)winter started, each day seeming to be as cold as the day before , maybe worse but definitely never better.When I got here , I remember calling up home and saying I was out in a temperature of 0 Degrees C and felt like I had done something exciting :D . Now , a 0 seems like a daily occurrence. If you thought the temperature is bad enough, Someone decided to have some more fun and threw in the chilly wind that make the temperature feel 15 Deg lesser than it actually is(How do people survive in Chicago!). It is very very sunny(most of the time) even on a cold winter day, a miracle I will never understand.I mean, it is cold because the sun is not available right ? or so I thought until I came over here :)
Well, once you are all warm and snug inside, the wind does provide lot of entertainment .It starts up mini-whirls of all the leaves lying around .My workplace overlooks a (now frozen) creek.Its looks like a big sheet of glass (nope, no one ice skates over it) .Right after it snows , there is an amount of snow that settles on the surface of this glass.If there are strong winds before the fresh snow melts or freezes into the creek , it makes a really beautiful sight. The winds blow the snow all over the place and it seems like the snow is skating over the ice(i know what you just thought , what weird imagination!) , Its like blowing fine powder off a smooth surface. It forms such pretty patterns, there seem to be winds blowing in all directions and the snow is not really sure which way to go . It makes people hold onto their flying umbrellas , pat down their Einstein-hairstyle , keep track of the papers in hand ( and this with all of two hands) and of course hurry in faster.
Hurrying from the parking lot to the warm Reception area takes exactly 2.5 minutes. After walking in one day , I removed the winter gear off my head and was trying to set my hair into place , unfortunately , what i touched seemed like a hard mass of some sort . My hair had actually frozen !! Serves me right for going in -25Degrees C weather with wet hair ! It had me laughing half the day though , imagine your hair turning into ice !! All the people around me had a field time 'tut-tut-ing' and giving advice about "You will fall sick like that!" . But believe me it was so amusing that I think I was a little :( when it thawed out !
and yes, it was -25 Degrees Celsius(and the sun was shining!)

1 comments:

Sandeepani February 10, 2007 at 3:14 AM  

Nice thoughts, Mythili!

Its not the absence of sun which causes winter and the cold weather!

Have you ever thought why the temparature of the earth's atmosphere goes down as we go up in the sky even on a very sunny day? For instance, while we are airborn the out side air temparature of an aircraft can vary from -30 to -40 degree celsius even when you have hot summers in the earth surface. Have you ever thought why? Please think about it, you might end up understanding the miracle!

If you still cant get it, I will explain it in my next visit to your wonderful ramblings!

Till then stay warm and keep thinking!!!

Good luck!

Post a Comment