The Other Side

Is it just in my head?
It always seems to me that when I talk to a guy(stranger), my work magically gets done. Whereas if it's the fairer sex, they don't seem too willing to help.
If you know me, you would know that I am not the flirting sorts, nor the hair tossing-big smile flashing(to strangers) sorts, nor one for small talk. So I can rule out all that generally goes against a girl.
Yeah, guys, I know you all hold the longest grudge against us for that. I know when you talk of externals giving us more marks in viva. Or that lecturers tend to correct our papers more leniently. That we get to leave office even if there's work. That we get to take more leaves.
Something's got to go our way isn't it?
Anyhooo, back to topic at hand. Be it in a government office, in a supermarket, some store, a doctor - almost anywhere - it helps to be a girl :)
Couple of weeks ago, I had an appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor , a very serious man. In an entire consult(with the guy before me), he wouldn't have spoken more than 10 words. Which was fine with me.
He came out and gruffly said "Next". I went in, gave all my MRI's, XRays , blah blahs. I don't really know what he asked or what I said, he was all smiles and even laughed twice. (Made my day , hey, I made a grouchy looking dude laugh)
Then, yesterday, I met another doctor, a lady this time. The consult lasted all of 45 seconds after 30 minutes of waiting. Monosyllable answers, not a single smile(I think I joked a couple of times, she probably didn't get them). Not a an experience of customer delight.
And that's when I realised, its easier to deal with guys. They probably have a soft spot for girls. That aside, they are genuinely willing to help and appreciate a conversation. While most women seem too. .. hmm , don't know the word for it.

1 comments:

Diwakar February 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM  

wow

Post a Comment