It must have been really long ago..

A 'funny'/'different' color all around you, like you were looking with peach-tinted glasses. A stillness to everything.Then, there's a light breeze. There's that feel of anticipation of something to happen, like its going to start raining any moment. There's not a cloud in sight though. But the light's a little low for daytime. A perfect summer evening.
There's something beautiful and pleasing about summer evenings, like having tender coconut water after swallowing loads of sea-water. It always reminds me of the exams that I used to study for while sitting on the terrace / the stairs. The times when I was half torn between playing Holi with the 'gully' kids and studying for an exam the next day. Curse the people who set the exam dates. No points for guessing, I had enough color on me to put a painter's apron to shame ;)
Trying to mug-up what the Nuclei of a cell does while trying very hard to avoid sleep.
Being part of the first showers of summer, which always happened while I'd be walking up and down the terrace with half a kg of a textbook in my hand , supposedly studying, damn, I wonder how I ever passed! People from all the neighboring houses would run up to save their laundry and yours truly would need mom running up and staring at me lolling around in the drizzle for 30 odd seconds before I would come to my senses and first) Safeguard the book by putting it under the water tank :D second) start pulling the clothes off the clothes line by when of course they are all wet or mummy would have finished them all off and be off the stairs in a flash too.
I think I caught 3 of the first showers in summer consecutively and somehow wanted to make it a (whats the word for it, custom/tradition?) that I do it every year, there have been times when I have woken up from sleep in the middle of the night just to hold one of the diamonds from heaven on my palm. As crazy as that sounds. :) Always makes me sigh.
Where did those days go? I never thought I would miss studying, but what I would not give to go back to the 8th std.exams in March/ April were supposed to be the worst months of an academic year, but why are the only days I remember fondly?

8 comments:

Anonymous February 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM  

???????????????????? What happened to you all of a sudden ? why did u go back to those days ?

Anonymous February 5, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

Whoa! that was immediate ...
Boring saturday evening, sitting at the doorstep on the phone, looking around and thinking to myself that the weather is actually nice and there's something special about it, wondering what till the lights in the no-brain zone turned on and said "Nuclei , 8th std biology" and then the whole flashback that you see here.

Swappy February 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swappy February 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM  

he he .... baagundi....So, y not, try travelling back to the past..... :))

Even though its funny...Dont remind of my school days...I hated going to school...cant imagine my worse days begging my teachers for marks to pass the test and avoid a retest..... and lots.... :)

Prashanth February 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

Easy Myths... apply for another degree!! :D

Anonymous February 8, 2008 at 10:19 PM  

I remember the days i used to sit on the jackfruit tree and read social studies :) and ofcourse the neighbour's mango tree and that aunty who thought i was a monkey ( damn should have sued her for racial discrimination). In my 7th standard, i called all my friends 8 of them and we went on the terrace to study and ended up eating tons of mangoes :)and ofcourse not studying anthing. Oh the rains ..sigh, boys have all the fun. We used to love playing cricket in the rain not to mention the paper boats and mom's hot bajjis and HORLICKS ... ooh and the roasted peanuts...and and ..ahem..sorry got carried away.

Anonymous February 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

hey Swap,
Wish I could travel back, seriously, if only I could I would go back and relive all those beautiful days again.
u and beg for marks, story vere yevarikaina cheppu nanna, mari yenta cauliflowers cheap aina kooda idi too much!!

Prashanth,
Saar, mari etakaarama ! :-P

PK,
hai, u had an amazing time !
Myths

Swappy February 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

hey....nizangane....

I told u all that....now u still dont believe me... I hurt... :)

Post a Comment