Its always the little things .. Always

Do you think God conspired with men to make life difficult for women ? You'd think , there's got to be a reason !!!!

No, I am not talking about the general safety on the roads, age old customs and rituals where women have to be content being the lesser beings, not even harassment at workplaces or anywhere outside home(or sometimes even at home). Those are the big grievances. I am talking of the smaller daily ones.
A few examples might help you in understanding why I am cribbing.

I was planning to indulge in myself with a massage at the parlor, when the lady says "If you are planning something, you should let us know, we cant do it in all conditions"

If you didn't get the meaning, don't worry, I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. It means if you are carrying(for the really duh ! people, it means, if you are pregnant), you wont get a back massage.

Duh ! Thanks for YOUR precautions, but I just want a massage and I have a brain !!

Another one was about a couple of month ago, we were at Vc's boss's(Mr. P) place for dinner along with a dozen other colleagues and their families.
The start itself stunned me. There were a few couple already in the sitting room, around 6 couples (us included) walked in together (by coincidence) . All the ladies (ALL) just got up from the sofas, joined the other ladies who arrived and moved into the children's room. Just like a herd.
And yours truly was caught in no-man's land .I didn't know whether to stay with menfolk or retreat behind the purdahs like women of 10 centuries ago(if then)
The consternation on Mr. P's face showed only when I turned around and asked him "Why did the women leave?" (Oh come on, how am I to know that you are not supposed to ask questions like that!!! I know I know, I should think before I talk, its not like I am in the college canteen... :D)
He gracefully handled the latest addition to the group saying "I don't know, you can sit here. That should bring them out. " I smiled my fakest smile and turned to find a place where Vc and I could sit together, when Mrs P came with the drinks tray.
Now, me thinks, maybe that's the reason the ladies left, they know its "Drinks time" and dint want to be around , but hey, if you know your hubby drinks, whats the big deal in being around , anyways.

Take a look around carefully when you are on the road, you will always see people veering clear of cars with women drivers.
But of course, God forbid, if there’s one out there who manages to overtake a guy, he will use all his prowess to to overtake her again, and then he will stick to her like fevicol irritating her like there is no tomorrow.


The house owner had come visiting once, and he was shocked when Vc went in to get refreshments, the look saying in all. ‘YOU’ are sitting here and THE husband has to do the lowly kitchen work. It was hilarious. I think I liked seeing that look on his face, but I had to put him out of his misery, I went in and sent Vc back, but by the time I returned with the tray of loaded goodies, he had escaped.

And of course, there are those old fashioned people, who get scandalized if I sit on the sofa where they are – a 3 seater mind you. All grandpas, a girl’s place is 10 paces away.
Then, there was this lady who’s husband had gone out when my dad and me had gone over to give the guy something and , you wont believe it, she stood behind the kitchen door and spoke to my dad. I was literally dumbstruck. I mean, in this day and age, she still followed the “Don’t talk to a ‘Paraya Man’ , stay indoors’ , where’s the removal of the purdah system!!

Then, there’s a family friend of ours, where, the ladies have to sit on the floor next to the sofa if the men are around, even if the sofa is empty. Beat that.

And of course , the fun stuff of being a woman.
You have to struggle no end to wear six yards of misery around you, with 2 dozen pins stuck in to keep you safe, a constant worry of what’s slipping from where always on your mind and of course, you cant jump around or sit cross legged or do anything normal !!!
The end result is good, I grant you that, but I just need to meet that human who invented the saree, just once.

Have you ever seen a girl with real hairy legs wearing a miniskirt ?? Its almost like impossible ???
Why then do we have to suffer gorilla-style hairy-legged guys in shorts !!! why , why why !!
Why do only women have ‘hair’ problems, ever thought of how painful it is to remove one strand of hair from the root! Try that all over your hands and legs and of course the eyebrows! Scary huh?

I’ll probably add the rest later, but for now, I rest.

3 comments:

Vc April 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

faints........and runs to dig a well..

Kirthi April 5, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Hahahaha...my God! Lady you are on a roll and you haven't even brought out the PMS and pregnancy and all those myriad weapons we normally use to prove how much we endure!

Anonymous April 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

yup, the complete list would probably be HUGE!

Post a Comment